Thunder @ Mavericks (Game 1): Select calls from the 1st half, including whistle-happy Joe Crawford
There were so many questionable calls and no-calls from last night’s game between Oklahoma City and Dallas, we’ve decided to break up our analysis into two separate videos. A video from second half action will be coming out later today.
In this video, you’ll get a glimpse why referee Joe Crawford (#55) is considered so “whistle happy,” calling ticky-tack fouls on negligible contact.
Here’s a breakdown of the clips in the video above:
- Ref Zach Zarba (#33) calls questionable double technical fouls on Tyson Chandler and Kendrick Perkins for fairly minor extracurricular activity.
- Ref Joe Crawford arguably misses a travel on Dirk Nowitzki (which we describe in detail happens with other players on this blog post here and here).
- Ref Zach Zarba misses a shooting foul from Dirk Nowitzki on Russell Westbrook.
- Ref Bill Kennedy calls a terrible shooting foul on Jason Terry involving Kevin Durant.
- Ref Bill Kennedy gets wrong an out-of-bounds call involving Jason Terry, but to Kennedy’s credit, he was shielded from the play, and he did check with another ref to see if he had a better angle on it, which he didn’t.
- Ref Joe Crawford calls a ticky-tack foul on Jason Terry
- Ref Joe Crawford calls a questionable foul (looks like he was wrong) on Tyson Chandler when another ref who had a better angle on the play didn’t call anything.